- Good resource books for understanding and managing attention deficits are Driven to Distraction, Answers to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction all written by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D. and John J. Ratey, M.D.
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) is a national organization that works to improve the lives of individuals with ADHD through family support and advocacy, public and professional education, and encouragement of scientific and educational research. Information about the organization, and its local chapter, is available at 301-306-7070 or online at www.chadd.org.
- Teenagers with ADD: A Parents’ Guide by Chris A. Zeigler Dendy. The author takes a comprehensive look at the issues and challenges faced by teens, their parents and treating professionals. The book, which is published by Woodbine House, is available at local bookstores or online at www.amazon.com.
Resource Books for Reading Challenges
- Put Reading First: The Research Building Blocks for Teaching Children to Read is a document prepared by the National Institute for Literacy (NIFL) that provides educators and parents with an analysis and discussion of research in the five areas of reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. The document is available on their website at www.nifl.gov.
- Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems At Any Level written by Sally Shaywitz, M.D.
- Straight Talk About Reading: How Parents Can Make a Difference During the Early Years and Parenting the Struggling Reader: A Guide to Diagnosing and Finding Help for Your Child’s Reading Difficulties. Both books are written by Susan L. Hall and Louisa C. Moats.
Associations & Institutes
American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
American Counseling Association
American Psychiatric Association
American Psychological Association
Association for Psychological Science
Canadian Mental Health Association
Center for Mental Health Services
National Institute of Mental Health
Mental Health America
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration